Tuesday, February 26, 2008

new work

So the stuff i just posted are parts to an installation that i will be doing at the Lexington Art League in march. Along with a video that includes the one posted at the bottom of my blog. I've been thinking a lot lately about how much music has influence pretty much everything i do. For quite a while, I've been trying to mix art and music together. I feel that this is the next step in the merger. I want this installation to be part of a slight "rock concert". Some of my most memorable experiences have been witnessing my favorite bands in person, therefore, I want to allude to this feeling without trying to make this experience for the viewer a nerdy one. So far the installation consists of a mixing board connected to multiple speakers across the room by brightly colored chords that sore through the air like lasers. The speakers will be playing the audio from the video which is a set of songs that i listen to on my Ipod while playing air guitar to. Being inspired by a documentary on the world air guitar championships a quote stuck out saying, "Air guitar is the last pure form of performance art." Not really being a big fan of performance, this quote and movie unleashed an inspiration and slight infatuation of this "art form". I don't know if it truly is an art form but I do love the commitment and self expression of these air guitarists. On a stage that is virtually empty except for their stage antics, their power and presence are very mesmerizing. Me being a musician, I do find myself unconsciously playing air guitar in various situation. It was only natural to express my own love for music and pay homage to those i admire.

No comments:

Morphin' like the wolf

Photobucket

Decapitated Clone Head

Photobucket

Lexington Photos

Lexington install 1 Lexington install 2 Lexington install 3

artwork

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

New video performance

Flight Like a Eagle

Thesis Show spring 2007

Thesis Show spring 2007
I built this city

Music I've been listening to

  • the Go Team!
  • Icy Demons
  • Need New Body
  • Battles
  • Pavement
  • Electric Light Orchestra
  • Tapes 'n Tapes, The Loon
  • Pinback
  • Sparta
  • David Bowie, Space Oddity and Ziggy Stardust
  • Mos Def,
  • Minutemen, Double Nickel on the Dime
  • poison snake,
  • J Geils Band, Blow Your Face Out
  • The Who, Live at Leeds
  • Heroic Doses

lazers

Photobucket